Pages

Friday 8 October 2010

TP 118 : "Branched"

I have only just started participating in Thematic Photographic by Carmi but am now hooked!  I love the challenge of the hunt for something a little bit different.


My mother and her sister have always been 'big' on family trees... I not so much unless I know snippets of history behind the people.   Just names and dates don't do much for me, but on the other hand it is handy to know some of them so I know who on earth my mother is talking about when she mentions a certain branch of the family. But really it is much more interesting to know things like family members being 'in cotton' and living rather well off in Cheshire, but then losing all their dosh somehow.

I have two family 'claim to fames': on my mother's side, the last man to fight a duel in Scotland (legally at least). And yes, he won.  On my father's side I am a not-too-distant relative of a certain Welsh poet with a drinking reputation.

I like 'realness' and I wish I had the time and the patience to dig out real life information about my forefathers (and mothers).  Maybe some day I will and perhaps I will get bitten by that 'bug' to which genealogy fans are prone.


15 comments:

  1. cool interpretation of the theme...i love genealogy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one!...btw, maybe u can see these episodes

    http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-you-are/

    Lisa Kudrow did a few stories of some famous celebs that tracked down their family history...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of family trees but there is just so much that is lost over time. I wish I had a time machine so I can learn a little bit more of my ancestors.

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you are really intereted in digging up info on your family tree here is a web site I use www.familysearch.org it covers all over the world and gives so much info, you can trace forever. Sometimes you have to watch some enteries, if somebody entered wrong info. I have spent hours, searching my family here in America and those overseas! It can be mind boggling! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen, I've saved the address. I think it will be some years before I would be able to spend any serious time on it... hmm at least 5 since that's how much OU study I have left ;-)

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great idea, but a little scary. I would be afraid that some of my ancestors are hanging from the family tree. Then again, who knows. I might be royalty. Sir JJ, Duke of Lostmindshire!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique take on the theme! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice take on the theme. That hadn't even occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe I am a day behind! When I read your Branched earlier I didn't even realize it was the new theme. Thought you were just pulling out the old family tree for the fun of it! You really chose a great thought for this week's theme! I love it! Sorry I didn't comment on it earlier, this week has been too busy I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. good thinking for the theme, must be really interesting, is that the "death shall have no dominion" poet by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is. Though I have never really got on with his poetry; I love his prose though, especially when he is reading it. He had such a great reading voice.

    JX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see a different "take"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant interpretation of the theme! I always hope that a given theme results in some completely unexpected perspectives. This is as unexpected as they come, and I'm so glad you shared it.

    Family trees are a huge and growing market: My wife's cousin has been working on our extended family tree for well over 10 years. The stories that come out of it are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's cool!
    my uncle took up the family tree challenge but towards the end had to hire a hall to spread the whole thing out

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes,his voice is lovely to listen to, my mom had a record of him, so my memory has crackles as an added bonus:)

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)