Pages

Friday 20 August 2010

Does she take sugar?

Just when I think things are settling down and I'm doing really well, someone sticks a spanner in my mental spokes.

This morning was two letters: one from my mother suggesting I could get home physio from the private practice in town if I wanted it.  This despite the fact that she knows I saw an NHS physio last week, who said I'm doing really well and that there are no extra exercises I can do until I can put weight on the leg.

The other was from mother in law worrying about me being on my own, and suggesting that my best friend could go shopping for me and maybe come and stay with me for a couple of weeks.

I know they are well meaning but it makes me feel like a) people don't listen to what I say, b) they listen to me but then think they know better, c) they know more about my body than I do and d) I'm an invalid with no common sense, intelligence or initiative. 

I get really angry about it, and then upset.  Maybe that reaction is a symptom of that PTSD.....??

3 comments:

  1. People always think they know better or that their idea is a better one!! My Mum is famous for it...so is my Gran actually (eeek, I hope I don't do it!)

    Try not to let it get to you...take comfort in the fact that they care and say no...hehehe...put your foot down with a firm hand :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hand written letter? I can't remember the last time I got one of those that wasn't a thank you card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the MIL writes to me quite a lot, mostly amusing observations from West wales ;) to be fair she's not big on the advice usually. Mum occasionally drops a note in the letter box if I'm out or busy.

    We still have all the letters Mr H and I wrote to each other 1986-1988 while we were living 100 miles apart. And those from his year in Scotland, we write at least a letter a week to each other.

    Which reminds me I must stock up on writing paper and stamps!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)