Pages

Wednesday 29 December 2010

Propping up the eyelids

I almost fell asleep across my parents kitchen table this morning... at least, it felt as if I just closed my eyes I'd be gone.   We went over for two reasons - firstly my sister was down with her two youngest children (11 & 13) and her man so we wanted to see them; secondly Dad had a tree that needed cutting down so Mr H was doing the honours while there were extra hands there to help, and to kill two birds with one stone, as it were.  


I don't know how people cope with having loads of family around at Christmas, it makes me feel quite claustrophobic. Trying to find enough chairs/plates, who wants tea/coffee/whatever, lots of people talking at once.. I know some people thrive on the hustle and bustle but I just want to escape to a quiet corner somewhere with a good book.

I haven't done much physically over the last few days, other than the odd short dog walk, but I realised that we have seen friends/family every day since Friday. Combined with a drive up to the Cotswolds and back, I can't believe how exhausting it's been.   Tomorrow I have a day off from talking to anyone other than my husband and my dog, hurrah!   

Oh, we talked about the dinghies last night... one of them is a single-hander which I sail on my own; the other is a 2-man old wooden Firefly which I sail with Mr H.  We agreed to keep them (not that I was going to be making any big decisions now anyway) and just carry on pottering about in it as we do now.  ie. not worrying that we don't go out every weekend or for hours at a time.   I must stop comparing myself to the other people in the sailing club, those who are passionate about it.  The sort that go racing on Boxing Day even when it's -6C and there is 3" of ice on the slipway.

While they are doing that, Mr H. and I willl be getting on our walking boots and woolly hats and heading for higher ground.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah even with a "big" family get together at my aunt's house it doesn't seem that way because the house is so big and the boy children go off into the game room while the adults are around and I'm just a drifter between the two groups.

    But at times when everyone is together in a small room, I know exactly how you feel.

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last sentence sounds like a perfect way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather liked that you were clear that you needed to stop the comparisons. If you and yours are having a good time--YIPPEE!!!!!!

    Oh--and I'm with ya about all those people (family or not) on the holidays.
    I was ready for silence.
    Heck....I'm still ready for silence. LOL

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)