Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

Responsibilities

I drove up to Cheshire on Friday evening to stay with some friends, a four and a half hour drive from here. It was the furthest I have driven since the crash, without a back-up driver sitting next to me. In my previous life that would have been a no-problem trip; both I and Mr H are used to driving long distances, to Scotland etc.

This time, although I got there fine I really noticed a) how much more tired I got and b) once it got dark how worried I was that I wasn't at peak concentration. The motorway felt like a scary place but for me it was myself that was the risk, not others.

I have become very aware of the responsibilities involved in being on the road - the car and me both being in condition above reproach.  That sounds like something that goes without saying, but for most people I'm sure it doesn't prey on their minds.  It must come from all the questions I was asked after the crash even though I had done nothing wrong. I had blood taken and the van was examined for defects, and I was questioned about all sorts of things; I got the feeling that if I'd been driving in high heels that might have come up at some point.

So now I really think about what I could be held responsible for IF anything were to happen.  So when I don't feel 100%, I'm really not comfortable about it...

But still, I had a great weekend!
 

3 comments:

  1. Juniper: I noticed you posted on Carol's site, and I realized I have not checked your site for a while. I am sorry that "thing" is still hanging over your head, but I am happy to see you up and running. I hope most everything else is wonderful in your life. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JJ, well I'm not surprised, I went through a lax spell - what with life being more back to normal, and Mr H home now too! I've not looked at yours for a while either, will pop over there later ;-)

    Yes still hanging but I guess it will gradually fade.

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good friend of mine was killed in a car accident when I was 17 so I am very aware of the dangers that driving and drivers pose. I think, because you are so aware of it, that you are unlikely to do something which you could be 'blamed' for but I understand why that feeling is still with you. *hugs*

    Glad you had a great weekend though :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)