Pages

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Reminders come when least expected

Sometimes I get a reminder what being a manager is about. It's not just making sure the job gets done properly and on time, or wondering how to improve the training; it's also looking after the people you work with and being there for them to talk to when they need to.

It is giving them the benefit of the doubt, and treating them the way you expect to be treated yourself.

I never signed up to be a manager - it was originally a purely technical post until we needed more pairs of hands - but here I have ended up, so I have to do it the best I can.

I had a reminder today, which has made me realise I need to try harder...



1 comment:

  1. I'm on the other end of the spectrum--or finding myself there.
    Human services--we tend to focus on the human part and the technical part....we get around to that.
    Only in this 'data driven world', I'm discovering how there has to be a balance.

    I suck at balance......

    But I'm glad you got your reminder.
    Not that it was necessarily comfy--but that it stretches you to embrace both parts of what a manager gets to be and do......

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

If you prefer to just read, appreciate and then move on, that's fine too :-)